Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mt. Baker

So it's finally raining in Seattle. Yes, I know it is supposed to always do that, but I tell you it's generally a lie in the summer. If it's any indication, I think we have every weekend planned out for the next 3 years. Be that as it may, the brief lull before the sun comes out again has given me the opportunity to FINALLY jot a few things down. I can't start back at the beginning of the year, but I will try to recap July. Then who knows!

The weekend right before the 4th of July I had it all planned out. Mt. Rainier, Fuhrer Finger and two days of climbing should finally bag the summit that eluded me last year at about 12,000ft. Alas it was not meant to be again seeing as my climbing partners pealed off and I was left with the desire, but not the means. BLAST!
Alternative plan B!
Called up my buddie, Pete (who would said he would climb anything BUT Rainier since he already knows the pain and is smarter than myself), and told him he was climbing this weekend. The new target Mt Baker. After the usual knee jerk reaction to why on earth would we subject ourselves to the inevitable sunburn, full body aches, and mistaken notion that somewhere below the blister was indeed a foot, he caved. Deep down we both had unfinished business from last years failed attempt on Baker.
Needless to say we FINALLY made it. The only items of note, besides the aforementioned pains, would have to be (1) a word to the wise...
When stopping to removc insulating clothin that is no longer needed for the blasting wind on top of the mountain, DO NOT put your helmet on the glacier business side down. For if you do, you will either have the glacier swallow it whole, or you will get to trek down the glacier to find it in a snow boulder field because the climbing gods smiled on you and your beer logo-clad helmet.
... and (2) volcanoes stink, but the view is great!
High Camp on the Coleman Glacier

Just how far is it to the top?

Summitting at Sunrise
Let me take one moment to draw attention to the gorgeous day it would have been on that mountain in the distance. Rainier. BLAST!
The second half of the Baker Party, Pete Schupp!

Look at all the ants still on their way up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home